For these dropbox reading response questions, please attach your .pdf file in the submission box.
–Using your text as the source, answer each of the following questions in a minimum of 4-6 sentences. Be sure to cite the pages from the text where you find your answer. Each question counts as a percentage of the assignment. If you fail to complete a question, then that percentage will automatically be deducted from the grade.
–Please see the rubric for how these will be graded.
Here are a few extra resources on this period.
Britannica overview of the period https://www.britannica.com/event/Congress-of-Vienna
Crash Course overview of the period https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuVw9sGpWUc
Details on the Holy Alliance (Quadruple Alliance) https://www.britannica.com/topic/Holy-Alliance
Alexis de Tocqueville and his speech of 1848 – https://www.britannica.com/biography/Alexis-de-Tocqueville/Revolution-of-1848
On the Reform Bill of 1832 – https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/politics/g6/
Be sure to cite the page numbers from the text, and other resources to indicate where you found the material.
1. What was the goal of the Holy Alliance?
2. How did Alexis de Tocqueville describe the political weakness of socialism in mid-nineteenth-century France?
3. What was the significance of the Reform Bill of 1832 in Britain?
4. Why did the idea of a Greater Germany, a Germany that would include the German-speaking lands of the Austrian Empire in a national state fail?
5. Read the following quotation and assess its truth. The Congress of Vienna represented the highest achievements of European balance-of-power politics: faced with the task of creating a lasting peace following the generation of warfare, the statesmen at Vienna succeeded admirably.
Who were the leaders at the congress?
What principles guided their actions?
What were the primary elements of the peace settlement?
How successful was the Congress at creating a stable Europe?