1. What do you think are the three most important qualities or skills a governor needs to possess in order to be successful in that position? Explain why you feel they are the most important. Would these qualities be enough for you to vote against your political ideology or identification? Use facts to support your opinion. (200 words or more)
2. (Please respond to this response about question 1)
Deval Patrick from Massachusetts is one of my favorite state Governors of all time. One thing I admire is the ability to be a functional moderate. Massachusetts is one of the biggest “split personality” states in the U.S. Much like Georgia, Iowa, and Illinois, the liberal attitudes of one metropolitan area is at odds with the more concervitave rural areas. Gun control legislation is always a battle of wills from the perspective of inner city dwelling with the dangers of guns going unaccounted for in areas where people are stacked on top of each other, to the indignant protest from people living in remote areas concerned for their own safety. Neither are fundamentally wrong with what they are worried about, but, it takes a gift to find terms that are agreeable to make any legislation happen.
Another thing that I have a lot of respect for is role in responding to emergency situations. He was quick to make preparations for Hurricane Sandy, even though it ended up hitting New Jearsey worse. He was decisive in responding to the Boston Marathon Bombing.
3. Describe the concepts of impeachment and recall elections. What are their purposes, and how are they done within a state against elected officials?Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
4. Define the major roles of state legislatures, and explain how their power influences the other branches of government.Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
5. List and explain legislative positions and executive offices held within state government.Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
6. Identify and explain three powers most governors have, and explain how they can use these powers to accomplish their goals in state government.Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
7. Explain the pros and cons of the two major ways judges are selected at the state level. Indicate how judges are selected in your state, and analyze if this method works or if changes should be made on judge selection in your state. (200 words or more)
8. Review the main types of local governments, specifically city and county governments. How are they similar and different? If you could decide in your local community, what type of government structure would you want? Why? (200 words or more)